I blogged last week about a plan to reorganize my approach to my fiction writing, and I can already see benefits.
I measure my progress by major milestones, such as new story first draft finished or a final draft polished and submitted, and minor ones like completed outlines/synopses or incremental drafts.
So far this week, since narrowing my focus down to just three stories, I’ve completed significant work on all three:
FFS — completed new incremental draft, handed over to Lena for a read-through and impressions/notes.
AIR — completed new incremental draft, handed over to Lena for a read-through and impressions/notes.
SS — reoutlined from scratch following input from editor who gave notes, and created a new Scrivener file with updated scene structure.
I also found time to create additional notes toward another story, EILW, which I will begin down the road. I’d like to have several queued up and ready to draft by the time I clear room in the top tier of three. At this point it looks like AIR will be done first among the three, though my gut tells me that FFS will end up being the better story, perhaps the best I’ve yet written.